British-made security technology popular among Russian buyers, survey reveals

BSIA, UK security suppliers expanding into Russian markets

Opportunities for UK security suppliers to expand into the Russian market are on the increase, with Russian buyers showing a growing appetite for British-made technology, according to members of the British Security Industry Association’s Export Council.

HD CCTV and Video Content Analysis are among the technological innovations most popular in the Russian market, a survey of the UK security sector trade body’s members has revealed.

The survey, issued ahead of the Association’s presence at the MIPS Moscow exhibition, from 14th – 17th April, aimed to gauge BSIA members’ experiences of exporting to Russia, while identifying the key features that summarise market trends in the region. While it is clear that demand for British-made products is increasing – the BSIA-organised UK Pavilion at the show has grown since last year – Russian buyers still demonstrate a lack of awareness of whether or not products meet important quality standards.

Daren Wood, Membership and Export Services Manager at the BSIA,
Daren Wood, Membership and Export Services Manager at the BSIA

Daren Wood, Membership and Export Services Manager at the BSIA, comments: “The results of our research have mirrored those of last year, with the key driver of purchasing decisions in Russia still being the initial purchase price of a product and buyers placing less importance on added-value factors such as quality standards, technical innovation and ease of use.

“While price is important to everyone during difficult economic times, UK security solutions can deliver far greater benefits than their ‘budget’ counterparts, and demonstrating the capability of UK solutions to deliver effective, holistic security solutions that offer real return on investment will be a priority for BSIA members at MIPS this year.”

Certainly, two BSIA member companies are looking forward to showcasing their wares at Moscow’s Expocentre this month. Access Control manufacturer, Integrated Design Limited (IDL), will be demonstrating its Fastlane® range of entrance control systems, which aim to provide the optimum balance of security, aesthetics, ease of use, flow rates and wheelchair accessibility. The Fastlane® range includes optical turnstiles, tripods, barrier arm optical turnstiles, speedgates and tailgate detection systems, many of which will be on display at MIPS on the Integrator Security Systems stand.

Meanwhile, CCTV and intruder detection manufacturer, GJD Limited, will be showcasing its D-TECT Laser, which allows users accurate time of flight perimeter surveillance and detection, as well as the Clarius IR and White Light LED Illuminators.

According to the BSIA’s research, the public sector remains the key target market for UK security suppliers exporting to Russia, with critical national infrastructure reported by 65% of exporters to be the single most important vertical market in the region, closely followed by the retail sector for the remaining 35%.

As the trade association representing the UK’s private security industry, the BSIA and its dedicated Export Council play a vital role in forging productive trade links between UK security companies and overseas buyers from around the world, and the Association continues to provide support to exporters looking to expand into overseas markets through the organisation of UK pavilions at a range of overseas events, including MIPS.

Click here for more information on the Association’s activity abroad.

BSIA Website