Man jailed for shooting doorman

Jailed: Jerome Marshall
Jailed: Jerome Marshall

A man has been sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court today, Monday 7 October, after a member of security staff was shot at a pub in SW4.

This follows an investigation by Trident’s South Reactive Team.

Jerome Marshall, 27, of Kirtley House, Thessaly Road, South Lambeth, received 15 years for one count of wounding with intent, 15 years for one count of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and six years for one count of possession of a prohibited firearm.

Marshall was found guilty of the above offences on 9 August at the same court after a trial lasting three days.

He had earlier pleaded guilty for one count of possession with intent to supply a quantity of cannabis for which he received 10 weeks imprisonment.

All of the above sentences are to run concurrently.

The court also ordered Marshall to forfeit £1,000 in cash which was seized at the time of his arrest. Officers seized the cash alongside a quantity of skunk cannabis with a street value of £2,900.

Police were called at approximately 4:25am on Saturday 2 March to reports of a man injured following the discharge of a firearm outside the White House venue in Clapham Park Road, Clapham.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and the victim, a 26-year-old man, was taken to hospital for treatment to a superficial leg wound. He has since made a full recovery from his injuries.

The victim started his shift the previous evening. At approximately 2.30am on the Saturday he dealt with a disturbance inside the premises involving a group of young men. This led to Jerome Marshall, one of the men in question, being ejected.

After the incident, the victim took up his position beside the front door of the club. Around 40 minutes later he saw Marshall return to the street outside. He noticed that he had changed his clothing and was now wearing a hooded top and a balaclava.

Marshall loitered outside speaking to a group of men. At one stage, the victim heard him say, “I’m going to do it” and noticed that he was putting his hands inside his trousers as if to produce a knife or gun.

The victim also watched him pull the balaclava up and down over his face on a number of occasions. Marshall produced a handgun from within the rear waistline of his trousers and fired it in the direction of the victim. Marshall then left the scene as a passenger in a black one series BMW convertible that had been parked up nearby.

The vehicle was unregistered but police were able to link Marshall to the BMW as he was the sole insured driver. Despite extensive police enquiries, the vehicle has never been recovered.

On Thursday 7 March, a firearms search warrant was executed at an address in Cottage Grove, SW9, and Marshall was arrested in connection with the shooting. He was later charged.

A hooded top similar to the one worn by the suspect at the time of the shooting was found at the address. Forensic examination later established that this item of clothing bore gunshot residue.

Forensic examination of a cartridge case recovered from the scene confirmed that the firearm used had also been discharged during a non-fatal shooting outside the Fiesta Bar, Acre Lane, London, Brixton, on 12 September 2009. No arrests have been made in relation to this incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Le Pere, Trident Gang Crime Command, said: “Marshall is a dangerous known gang associate and this case further demonstrates the chaotic lifestyle of gang members.

“Today’s sentencing should send a clear message to those who are involved in gang and gun crime that Trident detectives will continue to investigate and bring to justice those who harm their communities through their violence and gang criminality.”

“Shootings in the capital have fallen by 29 percent, which equates to 70 fewer shootings, and Trident officers have recovered over 100 firearms from the streets of London over the last 12 months. We will continue to target gang members for their violent behaviour and place them before the courts.”

Metropolitan Police Website