Mitie, the FTSE 250 strategic outsourcing company, has been recognised at the Opportunity Now Excellence in Practice Awards 2014.
Karen Govier, Mitie’s Diversity and Inclusion Manager, was recognised for her commitment to creating an inclusive workplace by being shortlisted in the Directing Diverse Talent Award category.
Opportunity Now is the workplace gender diversity campaign from Business in the Community.
The Opportunity Now Excellence in Practice Awards recognise public and private sector organisations that have put gender at the core of their business agendas and are committed to creating inclusive workplaces.
Karen was particularly commended for her work to spearhead a number of initiatives promoting equality and diversity at Mitie, including:
• Setting up a company-wide women’s network and supporting its activities
• Piloting a maternity coaching programme, which has now been rolled out across the organisation
• Creating a network of diversity champions across Mitie’s divisions to support and embed the diversity agenda
• Leading a range of internal programmes, including mentoring for interns, mentors and graduates, a company wide diversity week, and events celebrating the talent of young women at Mitie
• Leading on community outreach work, in particular assisting women offenders into the workplace in partnership with the charity Working Chance
Mitie will also receive a Business in the Community Big Tick as part of the awards. The Big Tick award recognises organisations that demonstrate significant achievements in responsible business. 2014 is the first year that organisations shortlisted for the Opportunity Now awards have received a Big Tick, the leading endorsement of responsible business.
Ruby McGregor-Smith CBE, Chief Executive of Mitie, said:“I’m delighted that Karen and Mitie have been recognised at the Opportunity Now Excellence in Practice Awards. We place great importance on celebrating diversity in its broadest sense, and promoting an inclusive and supportive working environment for our people.
“Attracting, developing and retaining the best talent is integral to the success of our business and we are proud to be leading the way in diversity.”
Kathryn Nawrockyi, Director at Opportunity Now, said:
“Congratulations to Karen and to Mitie on being shortlisted for the Opportunity Now Excellence in Practice Awards 2014. The standard of entries this year once again raises the bar for future leadership on gender equality.
“Karen is a great example of how working together can help to create real, sustainable change which benefits not just women in the workplace, but also organisational culture and society as a whole. I hope other employers will learn from her exemplary work.”