In a profound effort to transform the provision of security services away from a bundle, commoditised approach, The Shield Group, the UK’s tenth largest security business provider , with nine regional offices, over 2000 employees, and 500 nationally and internationally recognised brands within the commercial, industrial and public arena, has launched four new strategic business verticals to implement innovative, streamlined and specialist security services, products and consultancy to customers across the UK.
By combining traditional man-power and innovative technology, the strategic aim of the delivery model is to provide secure and safe environments for all customers – individuals, assets, properties and venues – with a robust, risk-based and tailored comprehensive security solution.
A reflection of customer demand for cost-efficient yet high quality security services, the launch of the total security solutions management model follows The Shield Group’s acquisition by India’s leading and largest security conglomerate, TOPSGRUP in 2012, where the two market leaders set out to strategically collaborate and scale up the company’s services to drive forward the strategy, The Shield Group now applies a diversified business model incorporating its inventive services under four strategic verticals, managed by fully trained security, technology and management professionals, working in tandem to safeguard customers. The Shield Group’s commitment to the total security solutions service is also reflective of the company’s new brand identity and name, which was formerly known as The Shield Guarding Company Ltd. The Shield Guarding Company is now one of the four business verticals that form The Shield Group.
The Shield Group’s business verticals will cover the following areas:
- The Shield Guarding Company: Manned Guarding, Event Management, Police Support Services, Mobile Patrols, Alarm Response, Keyholding, Concierge & Reception Services, Executive Protection
- Shield Systems Limited: CCTV, Access Control Design & Installation
- Shield Monitoring Services: CAT 2 NSI Gold standards monitoring of Customer premises including lone worker management
- Shield Consults: Security Consultancy, Investigations Risk & Threat analysis, Corporate Screening
The restructuring of the business led to the appointment of three new senior positions at The Shield Group to deliver the total security solutions model:
- Stephen Hollings will take over the responsibility of Commercial Director. Stephen brings to The Shield Group extensive sales and management experience, having held the positions of Sales Director and Managing Director at two top security service providers in the UK. He has a proven track record of delivering significant improvements within a company through strategic planning and will oversee and manage the entire commercial development of the four new business verticals under The Shield Group.
- Peter Aaronson has been appointed as Managing Director of Shield Consults. Peter joined the Police service in Manchester in 1975 and was immersed into all aspects of specialist operations and investigations throughout his 30 year career. Commanding major investigations and high profile projects, Peter’s career specialised in Royal and diplomatic protection and his management of community cohesion following the introduction of local authority partnership working where he was a senior lead in Serious and Organised Crime initiatives. Peter brings public and private sector expertise to The Shield Group so that new and prospective clients can benefit from the specialised services The Shield Group now offers to customers. These include investigations, corporate screening and managing and resourcing clients’ special events as part of the Shield Consults business service.
- Russell Sharp will drive the new and improved Shield Monitoring Services as Managing Director of Shield Monitoring & Systems. After a career in the Royal Air Force Police Russell entered the security industry by starting his civilian career with Glaxo Group Research and Shell International. He joined Shield as a Site Security Manager in 1997 and after two years joined the Head Quarters operation. Initially operating as a Contracts Manager until his experience with IT and systems were utilised in the design and build of the company’s London Control Centre and more recently the Shield Monitoring Centre. This new facility provides intruder and fire alarm signal receiving, CCTV monitoring and alarm image receiving, lone worker monitoring, vehicle tracking, priority messaging and police alert services, help desk services and manned guarding control services. Russell’s knowledge and experience of operations and systems is key to the Total Security Solutions model and he will be responsible for driving this in the UK and globally.
Speaking about the restructure, John Roddy, CEO of The Shield Group, commented: “The launch of The Shield Groups’ Total Security Solutions business model, marks an exciting time in the company’s trajectory. Our business approach has traditionally been market focused and we always place the customer’s needs first so that we can ensure their business runs smoothly. This we feel has been the key to our success.
“At a time when security and safety in the business place is pivotal and customization of services key to client satisfaction, in listening to our customers’ security requirements, we understand there has been an increasing requirement to extract security services from facilities managed bundled contracts and to adopt innovation at every step of the supply chain.
“Whilst our competitors have attempted to do this, more work is still needed. For instance, having operated in the facilities management sector in both a sales and an operations capacity during the last 10 years, I have personally seen the growth of security contracts, both manned and electronic, forming part of wider facility management contracts where services are bundled together. There is clear evidence to suggest that cuts are being introduced into the market to extract security services away from its dedicated purpose which has led to the dilution of skills.”
He added: “Businesses instead require a single, dedicated and experienced supply of security services led by experts, a trend I feel will continue, hence we at Shield have developed four distinct yet complimentary security verticals to offer customers a total solution package bespoke to individual requirements.”
“We are so passionate and committed to this that we have put our name to it, re-branding the company to The Shield Group. Shield Guarding now operates under the Total Security Solutions model as a separate specialist division, and we are investing more into Security Personnel and Contract Management training focusing on customer care and management by objective programmes.”
Speaking about the company’s new direction, Dr Richie Nanda, Global Chairman of TOPSGRUP said: “The Shield Group is a key strategic business within TOPSGRUP. We strive to remain top of the league in the UK as well as globally and with the re-structure of the brand, this reflects the ongoing development within the company.
“The rebrand reflects TOPSGRUP’s and The Shield Group’s joint journey since the acquisition. We as an industry need to recognise that security requirements are altering and the advances not only in technology but also in our customer’s business means we cannot afford to stand still.
“Over the last six months, the company has focused on making revolutionary technological investments to support the company’s strategic development and expansion, to ensure all services are market leading. To support the new structure, we are focusing more on compliance management within the contract and increasing field management to fully meet our customer and contractual requirements, in addition to hiring three very senior members to our team to bring our new structure to life.
Furthermore, with The Shield Group nationalising its footprint, the application of a unique structure was essential. We have mapped out our vision and we are ready to set sail.”
With projected sales of £70 million for the fiscal year 2012-2013 The Shield Group has geared up its presence throughout the UK by widening its national footprint to Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Belfast. Additionally, the company installed two regional head quarters’ based in the City of London at Austin Friars covering the South of England and in Preston covering the north of the UK and Northern Ireland. Its’ location in the City Centre will support The Shield Group to continue to push the boundaries of the provision of total security services to the corporate community.
Recently The Shield Group activated the Shield Monitoring System in Preston, which has full Category II status and compliant with BS5979 and will enhance the range of services that the company can provide to its clients.