On Wednesday the 26th of February 2020, Infologue attended the Outstanding Performance Awards and Leadership Summit. This article is a summary of the events and will include a list of the winners below.
Starting at 11:15 with a reception at the Royal Lancaster Hotel, the Thought Leadership Summit brought together several sponsors and exhibitors with professionals from the security industry at large. Exhibitors included Audax, Innovise, TrakTik, NSI, and others.
After a buffet lunch, the various presentations began with OSPAs founder Professor Martin Gill discussing the theme for the day and what he hoped people would get from it. Professor Gill was followed by Richard Jenkins, CEO of the NSI, who discussed his organization’s perspective on the industry.
Following this was Sebastian Bachelier from the Living Wage Foundation and then Inspector Angel Martinez from the Madrid Police. Inspector Martinez, through his interpreter, discussed the successes that his department had achieved in responding to alarms. This was followed immediately by a panel discussion on the pros and cons of this approach. On the panel we Pat Allen (Electrical Contractors’ Association), Richard Jenkins (NSI), David Mair (Security Systems Unit – Metropolitan Police), Ken Meanwell (Secured by Design), Dave Wilkinson (BSIA) and Professor Martin Gill.
The second half of the event saw SIA Chief Executive, Ian Todd discuss the role of the regulator in promoting employment best practices, Douglas Barnet from AXA Insurance covering innovation and the need for competence and finally Charlotte Howell from Perpetuity Research talking about Women in Security.
The Summit ended after 5, many of the attendees, myself included, rushing back to get changed for the evening’s gala.
The evening began with a drinks reception and mingling between guests. Many familiar faces could be seen with many of the country’s largest security companies in attendance. There appeared to be an increase in the total number of guests from last year, estimated to be in the 450 range.
Once the majority of attendees had arrived, we were ushered into the ballroom and to our tables. Our toastmaster introduced, Professor Martin Gill gave a welcome speech followed by Peter French who was representing the Worshipful Company of Security Professionals. The WCSP’s Security Benevolent Fund was this year’s charity partner with all donations going to them.
Paul Sinha from ITV’s The Chase, and No.4 UK ranked Quizmaster, performed a comedy set that was well received. He then went on to announce the 2020 Award Winners, a full list of which is below.
The big winner of the night was Mitie with 5 awards including Outstanding Contract Security Manager/Director, Outstanding Security Team, Outstanding Security Installer/Integrator, Outstanding New Security Project and the prestigious Outstanding Contract Security Company.
We reached out to Jason Towse, Managing Director at Mitie for comment who has this to say: “I’m incredibly proud and want to congratulate all our deserving Mitie OSPA winners and nominees. Just to be nominated highlights security excellence, but to win five awards is a true testament to the expertise and dedication of our amazing teams at Mitie. I’ve long believed that we have the best people and technology in the sector and seeing this recognised with the Outstanding Contract Security Company award is a real accomplishment.”
Please find a full list of awards winners below:
- Outstanding In-House Security Manager or Director – Clint Reid – Marks and Spencer
- Outstanding Contract Security Manager or Director – Nav Kalley – Mitie
- Outstanding Security Equipment Manufacturer – Bradbury Group
- Outstanding Security Team – Mitie – M&S Security Operations Centre Team
- Outstanding Security Consultant – IJA (Ian Johnson Associates)
- Outstanding Customer Service Initiative – ProtectED – Code of Practice
- Outstanding Security Installer/Integrator – Mitie Fire & Security Systems
- Outstanding Event Security Team – FGH Security
- Outstanding Security Training Initiative – Kingdom Services Group – Skillcentre
- Outstanding New Security Product – Merlin Protect 24/7 – Mitie Security
- Outstanding Security Partnership – Clinical Liaison Nurses (Security) – Mersey Care NHS Trust
- Outstanding Young Security Professional – Amy Stanley – FGH Security
- Outstanding Security Officer – David Rutwaza – G4S Secure Solutions
- Outstanding Contract Security Company (Guarding) – Mitie Security
- Lifetime Achievement – Roy Cooper
As with previous events, the night was enjoyed by all and we offer a big congratulations to Martin Gill and his team for a job well done. We look forward to seeing everyone next year.